Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Dog Days of Summer Are Over

Ahhh, the end of summer. For those who live in a world that involves snow, I'm sure the looming idea of shovels and hand warmers is suddenly all too close, but, here in The Sunshine State, the beginning of fall only marks the end of inappropriate heat and humidity. It also marks the time of year where stouts and robust beers dominate the scene.

So, in keeping with my claim that, yes, I will be adding all of the old beers from the physical diary to this virtual one, here are a few of the lighter guys I tried back when it was too hot to sit outside and smoke a cigarette.



Helios by Victory Brewing which sits about 40 minutes outside of Philly. I was in Philly this June, and for some God awful reason, my friend didn't want to take me there (even though they had an amazing kegs and eggs deal going down for the World Cup), though she was kind enough to drive me 3 hours north to Pottsville to visit the original Yuengling Brewery.

A saison/Belgian farmhouse style brew that Beer Advocate gives a B+.

Now...I didn't shit all over myself on how awesome this beer was, not like the old boys on Ba, in fact, according to the diary, I HATED it, which is striking, because I love almost everything that utilizes Belgian Yeast. I know, I have a vagina, which some how discredits my opinion by half, since, what do women know about beer and driving automobiles? But farmhouse does more than just describe the brewing style, this beer tastes like what I'd imagine a live horse would taste like. The diary even notes that I wanted to send it back, which is something I never do.

Had this at Fermentation Lounge here in Tallahassee, Florida.

As for a saison I love:



Hennepin by Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown, New York.

This beer puzzles me to no end. It's got this coriander and ginger taste and paired with Belgian yest it comes off as having a very exotic and almost fruity flavor. What's even more puzzling about it, is how it retains a light and highly drinkable weight to it while being higher in gravity then most beers at 7.7%.

Badass, in just about every way.


Had this at Stinky's Fish Camp here in Tallahassee, Fl.

R.I.P. Stinky's...I'll miss being your bartender...this is depressing me...I'll have more to post later.

No comments:

Post a Comment